Thursday, August 26, 2010

On Artistic Choices And Anti-Villains

The problem I seem to have, is that I am killing off my best villain halfway through the first book.

This is an uneasy road to go down because that death provides huge amounts of development and tension for the rest of the series. I am not Michael Chrichton so I am not going to just bring him back with some bullshit about "reports of my death were greatly exaggerated" when I feel like it.

There's really no way to make the rest of the series work without killing this guy off in the first one. And that sucks. Because I have so much I'd like to explore with him. If he didn't die, he'd have become a serial killer. A religiously motivated, charismatic psychopath serial killer. How is that not amazing?

I would also not have to scrabble for a new villain in books 3 and 4. I'd have the abusive brother back. But I feel like that couldn't end well really.

Ugh. The choice to keep him dead is pretty obvious, but still sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment